I love cheesecake, and while I often make my individual mini-cheesecakes, this low carb and keto Caramel Cheesecake is a new favorite that I made over the weekend that the whole family loved. I used ChocZero’s caramel because we had a lot of it on hand, however you can also make a very simple homemade caramel using the base of my nut brittle recipe.
I’ve experimented with a variety of techniques for cooking cheesecake — in the Instant Pot, and in the oven with and without a water bath. The Instant Pot is still my favorite because the texture is PERFECT, however a water bath, as described below, also works well. If you do go with the water bath method, make sure to wrap the bottom and sides of the springform pan with foil to ensure water doesn’t leak into the pan and get to the cake!
I piped the caramel on top of the cheesecake before baking and ran a knife thru to create a chevron-like design which added some ribbons of delicious caramel to the top layer of the keto cheesecake while also adding a beautiful pattern on the finished cake.
While Swerve is still my go-to sweetener for baking, I have been experimenting with Allulose more and more because that’s the best option for keto ice cream to ensure a soft and scoopable texture. I used brown sugar Swerve for the crust in this keto caramel cheesecake and then allulose for the main sweetener in the cheesecake. The result was delicious! You can leave out the caramel and experiment with your own flavors — we have made this with a blackberry puree or just plain — either way, it’s amazingly light and most would be hard pressed to tell that it’s sugar free cheesecake!
If you try this, please tag me in your photos on social media @ketologylife — I’d love to see what you create!
Keto Caramel Cheesecake
- Instant Pot (optional)
KETO “GRAHAM CRACKER” CRUST
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tbsp Swerve Brown sweetener
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 3 8 oz packages cream cheese room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 eggs , room temperature
- 4 tablespoons creme fraiche or sour cream
- 1 cup sweetener I used Allulose
- pinch of salt
- 3 tbsp ChocZero Caramel Sauce
PREPARE YOUR SPRINGFORM PAN
- * I have a 7.5″ springform pan that also fits in the Instant Pot, however if you use a traditional 9″ pan, you can double this recipe to fit!
- Preheat oven to 325?
- Spray your springform pan with cooking spray. I also like to lay parchment down on the bottom.
- Wrap the aides and bottom of pan with foil.
FOR THE CRUST
- In a small bowl, add all crust ingredients together and mix with a fork until crumbly.
- Using your hands, press the crust onto the bottom of your prepared springform pan.
- Poke a few times with the fork to prevent air pockets and bake for 20 minutes in preheated oven.
- Remove and allow to cool while you make the filling.
FOR THE CHEESECAKE FILLING
- In a large bowl, add the room temperature cream cheese and vanilla extract.
- Beat with a hand mixer on medium to high speed until smooth and creamy.
- Then, reduce speed to low and add one egg at a time.
- Add the sour cream, sweetener and salt and continue beating until smooth.
- Set the springform pan with crust in a baking dish with high sides or in a 9-inch round cake pan (if using a smaller springform, this works perfectly)
- Pour the filling on top of the cooled crust.
FOR THE CARAMEL TOPPING
- Draw 4 – 5 lines on the top of the cheesecake with the caramel.
- Run a knife through the lines – about 1″ into the batter and either “swirl” the knife or I like to just go back and forth to create a chevron design as pictured.
- Add boiling water to the outer pan until it reaches about 3/4 way up the side of the springform pan.
- Carefully place in oven and bake for one hour and fifteen minutes.
- When done, turn off the oven and keep the cheesecake in the oven as it cools for at least 30 minutes and up to one hour.
- Once cooled, place in fridge for at least an hour to set.
- Serve with extra caramel drizzled on top!