Growing up in an Indian household, my mother taught me how to make samosas — delicious potato and meat filled pastries — that are deep fried and served with yummy sauces. I have been wanting to make a low carb samosa recipe for a while, and finally went for it this week to have them as a starter with my keto Butter Chicken recipe.
As I have shared plenty of times, I ALWAYS have Cut Da Carb flatbreads in my fridge. They are so versatile, from using as a traditional wrap for sandwiches or they can be cut into triangles and fried up for low carb tortilla chips, you can use them as tortilla substitutes for baked dishes like enchiladas or for burritos…and most recently, Cut Da Carb has taken social media by storm as low carb and keto foodies hop on the folded tortilla hack. I was able to create perfect little triangles (see folding method video below) and these fried up to perfection.
I like to use a combination of ground lamb and cauliflower for my keto samosas, but you can use chicken, beef or keep it meat-free using just cauliflower, peas and carrots. Either way, they’re a tasty starter or light lunch that everyone will love. My 16 year old son ate about half of the batch before I could even try one!
Low Carb Samosas
- 3 Cut Da Carb flatbreads cut into 12 even strips (about 3″ wide each)
- 1 small head cauliflower cut into florets
- 1 lb 16 oz ground lamb
- 1/2 red onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon ghee or butter
- 1 tablespoon ginger minced
- 1 green chili chopped (seeds removed if you prefer less heat)
- 1/2 teaspoon pink salt
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- Place the cauliflower florets in Instant Pot with 1/2 cup of water and cook on high pressure for three minutes. Allow to slow release and then drain. If you don’t have an Instant Pot, fill a large pot with water 3/4 full, and bring to a boil. Add cauliflower florets and boil until very tender – 10 minutes. Drain.
- Using a potato masher, mash the cauliflower in a large bowl until just barely chunky, set aside.
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat and add ghee (or butter). When melted, add red onion, garlic and ginger. Cook, stirring frequently, until onion has softened. About 5 – 7 minutes.
- Add ground lamb and break up the meat so it cooks evenly. Saute for 2 – 3 minutes and reduce heat to medium.
- Add spices and continue cooking until lamb is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Turn the heat off and add the mashed cauliflower to the pan. Mix to combine.
- Add chopped cilantro and mix.
- PREPARE THE SAMOSAS
- Fold the Cut Da Carb wraps to create a pocket (see video).
- Fill the pocket with 1 – 2 tablespoons of the meat mixture. You don’t want to overfill the pocket, but fill it so there is no extra room.
- Fold the triangle as demonstrated in the video and place on a platter, seam side down.
- Repeat with remaining Cut Da Carb wraps and filling.
- Heat avocado oil in a clean skillet over medium-high heat.
- When hot, place samosas seam side down in the skillet.
- Allow to pan fry for 3 – 4 minutes until golden brown and “sealed.”
- Flip and cook for another 3 – 4 minutes until the other side is golden brown.
- Top with some additional chopped cilantro and enjoy!