These low carb teriyaki chicken wings are on repeat in our home — we are all about chicken wings! While we love to go gourmet some days, we can easily transition from charcuterie and shrimp cocktail to wings, burgers and fries with ease and frequently alternative between the two day by day.?
Chicken wings are a family favorite because we make different sauces – out go-tos are this keto, low carb teriyaki sauce as well as classic buffalo and garlic-parmesan along with others we try here and there – and plop ourselves on the couch with the wings and watch a movie.
In addition to this Low Carb Teriyaki Chicken Wings recipe below, I’m also sharing my tried and true way to get the crispiest chicken wings every time.?
Teriyaki sauce is usually a no-no for keto enthusiasts because of the sugar and soy sauce in most recipes. With a few swaps, this keto Teriyaki sauce is low carb and keto-friendly and eliminates soy which can be controversial and is something I recommend women of any age avoid – and especially those of us over 40.?
As I?ve mentioned in other recipes, coconut aminos are a delicious substitute for soy sauce and I love the flavor so much more than a flat, salty soy. Use this sauce on wings and any other dish you typically enjoy Teriyaki-style!
Teriyaki Chicken Wings
- Air Fryer
FOR THE WINGS
- 2 pounds chicken wings separated, drumettes and wings, not connected
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp seasoning salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
FOR THE LOW CARB TERIYAKI SAUCE
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup coconut aminos
- 1/4 cup Swerve or your preferred sweetener
- 1 tablespoon Toasted Sesame Oil
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon Xanthan Gum
- Place chicken wings in a medium mixing bowl and pat dry with a paper towel. Try to get them as dry as possible.
- Add the baking powder, seasoning salt, pepper and garlic and toss to coat. I use my hands to ensure even coverage!
- Arrange the wings in a single layer in your air fryer and cook at 400? for 25 minutes, flipping them over half way through.
- While the wings are cooking, add all ingredients for the Teriyaki Sauce except for the Xanthan Gum to a small saucepan.
- Whisk well and cook over medium-high heat until it comes to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and reduce by half. Swirl the pan often to avoid burning.
- Once reduced, add the Xanthan Gum and whisk until smooth. Cook for another minute or so until thickened.
- Remove from heat.
- Add your cooked wings to the saucepan and toss to coat.
- Serve with a sprinkling of cut scallions and toasted sesame seeds.