Unless you have been living under a rock, you most likely have seen a food trend that has literally taken over social media — baked tomato and feta pasta. This simple yet delicious dish became an internet sensation when a Finnish food blogger posted her recipe and it literally made all the supermarkets in Finland run out of feta cheese! So, of course, I had to make a keto version because it looked delicious – feta and tomatoes are a match made in heaven anyway and feta is also a delicious, zero carb cheese that thanks to the sheep’s milk base, is also perfect for keto dieters because of higher fat content and quality of the fat.
The Baked Tomato and Feta sauce is really the star of this recipe — it works well with pasta, yes , but also is a delicious dip with low carb chips or even as a sauce over grilled chicken breast. I have been enjoying it with roasted spaghetti squash or zucchini noodles — really, the sauce is just delicious with anything and is so easy to make. If using spaghetti squash, I roast it in the oven alongside the feta and tomatoes — so simple and delicious! To make this recipe meet keto-approved macros, I also add some chopped grilled chicken when the sauce comes out of the oven.
Baked Tomato and Feta “Pasta”
- 2 pints cherry or grape tomatoes
- 7 oz feta cheese 1 block
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 – 3 tbsp fresh basil chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp crushed red chili flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup chopped cooked chicken breast
- Preheat oven to 400?
- In a baking dish, add tomatoes and whole garlic cloves. Coat with olive oil and toss with salt and pepper.
- Place feta block in the center of the dish and drizzle a little of olive oil on top and sprinkle with chili flakes.
- Bake for 40 minutes. If you plan to serve with spaghetti squash, go ahead and half the squash lengthwise and roast it in the oven next to the feta and tomatoes!
- Remove from oven and top with basil. Mix to combine the creamy, melted feta and lightly "smash" the tomatoes and garlic so the juices combine with the feta.
- Add your chicken, if using, and serve with zucchini noodles or your favorite low carb pasta alternative!