This is one of my all-time favorite keto soup recipes – keto broccoli cheese soup is so satisfying with a creamy consistency and a marriage made in heaven with delicious bone broth as a base and lots of cheesy goodness. This is also a great recipe for kids – they love the flavor and get in the goodness of broccoli!
I usually have plenty of chicken and beef bone broth in my pantry — Kettle & Fire is my favorite brand. You can, of course, use regular chicken broth but bone broth offers lots of nutritional value thanks to all the collagen which is great for gut health but also for hair, skin and nails.
Broccoli is a great keto vegetable option – it’s high in fiber and low in carbs. One cup of raw broccoli has less than 4g of net carbs and is loaded with Vitamin C, Vitamin K and folate. Broccoli also has bioactive compounds that are known to reduce inflammation – which is at the root of many diseases and one of the key benefits to a ketogenic diet.? Plus, cruciferous vegetables (like broccoli, brussels sprouts and cabbage) also are shown to reduce cell damage and protect against certain cancers.
So, this keto broccoli cheese soup with cheddar is a great way to add the benefits of broccoli to your diet and meet those keto macros at the same time!
I like to use an immersion blender (it’s just easier because I can blend up the soup right in the pot) but you can also easily just carefully transfer the soup to a blender to finish it off.
Keto Broccoli and Cheese Soup
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 16 ounces frozen chopped broccoli or 1 head fresh broccoli, chopped
- 14 ounces chicken bone broth
- 1 pound cheddar cheese cubed or shredded
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon Xanthan Gum
- 1 cup water
- In a large stockpot or dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Add chopped yellow onion and cook in butter until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in broccoli and pour in the chicken bone broth.
- Simmer until broccoli is tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat, and stir in cheddar cheese until melted.
- Mix in heavy cream and garlic powder.
- In a small bowl, whisk Xanthan Gum into water until completely dissolved.
- Stir into soup; cook, stirring continuously, until thick.
- I like to blitz this in a blender or with an immersion blender to make it super smooth and creamy, but that’s optional.
- Serve with fresh broccoli florets and some shredded cheese on top!
The post Broccoli Cheese Soup appeared first on Ketology – Keto Recipes, Tips and Hacks for Women.