Are you looking for a delicious, low-carb treat that doesn’t skimp on flavor? Let me introduce you to one of my favorite go-to recipes: Buffalo Shrimp Lettuce Cups. Packed with protein and incredibly tasty, this dish is sure to satisfy your cravings while keeping your health in check.
Shrimp is not only rich in flavor but also packed with numerous health benefits, especially for those following a low-carb, high-protein diet. Being naturally low in carbohydrates, shrimp makes an excellent choice for those aiming to reduce carb intake. Plus, shrimp is an impressive source of high-quality protein, essential for muscle building, tissue repair, and overall metabolic functions. In addition to protein, shrimp provides a wealth of essential nutrients, including omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants like astaxanthin, and an array of vitamins and minerals such as selenium, vitamin B12, and zinc. These nutrients collectively promote heart health, combat inflammation, and support immune functions. For individuals on a low-carb, high-protein regimen, incorporating shrimp into their meals can offer both a tasty and nutritious boost to their dietary goals.
Low Carb Buffalo Shrimp Lettuce Cups
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1/4 cup hot sauce I recommend Primal Kitchen
- 1 tbsp. avocado or olive oil
- 1 lb. shrimp peeled, deveined, and tails removed
- Kosher salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 head romaine or baby gem lettuce
- 1/4 red onion finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery thinly sliced (or use 1/2 small Persian cucumber, diced if you prefer)
- 1/2 cup blue cheese crumbled (though I sometimes switch it up with crumbled goat cheese!)
- Crafting the Perfect Buffalo Sauce: – Over medium heat, melt the butter in a small saucepan. – Once the butter is fully melted, stir in the hot sauce. – Spice it up with the onion and garlic powder, and stir until well-combined. – Once done, set aside to let the flavors meld together.
- Sizzling the Shrimp: – Heat your choice of avocado or olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. – Toss in the shrimp, seasoning with a sprinkle of salt and pepper. – Cook the shrimp until they turn a lovely pink, flipping them halfway. This should take around 3 minutes for each side. – Now, pour in that delightful buffalo sauce you’ve prepared and coat your shrimp generously.
- Assembling Your Lettuce Cups: – Place a generous scoop of your buffalo-coated shrimp onto a lettuce leaf. – Top it off with some chopped red onion and either celery or cucumber. The choice is yours! – For the finishing touch, sprinkle over some crumbled blue cheese. Or, if you’re like me and prefer a milder taste, crumbled goat cheese works beautifully too.
And there you have it! A simple yet scrumptious dish that not only looks good but tastes amazing. It’s the perfect dish for those on a low-carb diet, or anyone looking to try something new and exciting. Plus, it’s a fantastic meal prep option. Store the buffalo shrimp in the fridge, and when you’re ready, just scoop them onto your lettuce cups, add your toppings, and enjoy. Happy eating!