Whoever said comfort food can’t be healthy clearly hasn’t tried my take on the classic tuna melt. This isn’t your standard diner fare; it’s a high-protein, low-carb twist on the beloved sandwich, perfect for anyone looking to satisfy their comfort food cravings without the guilt. And the best part? It’s incredibly easy to whip up, even on your busiest days.
Healthy Tuna Melt
- 1/2 Red onion finely chopped
- A handful of pickles I love using baby cornishons for that extra crunch, diced
- Fresh dill to taste
- Fresh parsley to taste
- 1 can tuna drained and flaked
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt trust me, it’s a game-changer
- 2 slices low-carb bread I’m partial to the Hero brand
- Tomato slices
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Swiss cheese or your cheese of choice, enough to cover
- Prep Your Veggies: Start by finely chopping your red onion, pickles, fresh dill, and parsley. The finer, the better, as it’ll blend more smoothly with the tuna.
- Mix the Tuna: In a mixing bowl, flake your drained tuna and add in the chopped veggies. Give it a light mix to combine.
- Add Creaminess: Here’s where it gets interesting. Instead of mayonnaise, add half a cup of Greek yogurt to the tuna mixture. Stir it all together until everything is nicely incorporated. This swap boosts the protein content and cuts down on calories without sacrificing creaminess or flavor.
- Assemble the Melt: Take your slice of low-carb bread and lay it flat in the air fryer basket. Top it with an even layer of the tuna mixture, followed by a few tomato slices. Season with a bit of salt and pepper, then cover with a slice of Swiss cheese (or whatever cheese makes your heart sing).
- Cook to Perfection: Set your air fryer to 400 degrees and let it do its thing for about 8 minutes. What you’re looking for is that golden, melty cheese on top and a toasty edge to your bread.
This tuna melt is a testament to the fact that with a few smart swaps, you can enjoy all your favorite flavors without veering off your health goals. It’s perfect for a quick lunch, a light dinner, or anytime you’re in the mood for something that’s both comforting and nutritious. Give it a try, and I promise, you’ll never look back.
The post Healthy High-Protein Tuna Melt That’ll Change Your Lunch Game appeared first on Low Carb and Keto Recipes, Tips.