Who doesn’t love the combination of chocolate, caramel, and nuts in a classic turtle candy? I’ve got a recipe that brings all these delightful flavors together in a healthier, sugar-free version, loaded with the goodness of nuts like walnuts and Brazil nuts.
Health Benefits of Brazil Nuts
Brazil nuts are a powerhouse of nutrition, offering numerous health benefits that make them a valuable addition to any diet. Mainly, they’re exceptionally high selenium content; just one or two Brazil nuts can provide more than 100% of the recommended daily intake. Selenium is crucial for thyroid function, immune system support, and has potent antioxidant properties that help combat inflammation and oxidative stress in the body. Additionally, these nuts are rich in healthy fats, particularly heart-healthy unsaturated fats, which contribute to cardiovascular health by managing cholesterol levels. They also provide essential minerals like magnesium and zinc, and are a good source of protein and fiber, aiding in digestive health and muscle repair. Their unique composition of nutrients can contribute to overall well-being, making Brazil nuts not just a tasty snack but also a smart nutritional choice.
Low Carb, Sugar-Free Chocolate and Nut Turtles
- 4 ounces nuts I used a mix of walnuts and Brazil nuts for their high selenium content
- 8 ounces sugar-free caramels ChocZero’s sugar-free caramel is my go-to
- 2 tsp heavy cream
- 6 ounces sugar-free chocolate chips Lily’s or ChocZero work great
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- pinch flaky sea salt Maldon is perfect for this
- Prepare the Nuts: Begin by laying a piece of parchment paper on a baking sheet. Cluster your nuts into little groups of four to five each. This step is essential to get that classic turtle shape.
- Melt the Caramel: Combine your sugar-free caramels with a little heavy cream. Microwave for about 30 seconds or until it’s nicely melted. Drizzle the caramel over the nut clusters, ensuring each one gets a good coating.
- Melt the Chocolate: In another bowl, combine the sugar-free chocolate chips with a teaspoon of coconut oil. Melt them in the microwave in 30-second increments until completely smooth.
- Assemble the Turtles: Drizzle the melted chocolate over the caramel-coated nuts. The layering of caramel and chocolate is what gives these turtles their signature taste and texture.
- Add the Finishing Touch: Sprinkle a bit of flaky sea salt over the chocolate. This not only enhances the flavor but also adds a gourmet touch to your turtles.
- Set the Turtles: Place the baking sheet in the fridge for about an hour or until the chocolate hardens.
There you have it – your very own batch of chewy, delicious, and sugar-free turtles. These treats are not just tasty; they’re also packed with the health benefits of selenium from the nuts. Selenium is known for its anti-aging properties and overall health benefits, making these turtles not just a treat for your taste buds but also a boon for your health.
So next time you’re craving something sweet, skip the store-bought candies and whip up a batch of these homemade sugar-free turtles. They’re perfect for satisfying your sweet tooth without any sugar guilt. Enjoy this simple, healthier twist on a candy classic!
The post Homemade Sugar-Free Turtles: A Healthy Twist on a Classic Treat appeared first on Low Carb and Keto Recipes, Tips.