I’ve been in barbecue mode all summer! While I love to grill all year round – and am blessed to live in Southern California where I can grill all year round – this summer I have been firing up the grill at least a few times a week to make everything from burgers to even pizzas. One of our go to’s this summer has been spicy Italian sausages that I get at our local farmer’s market. They’re perfect with some cold broccoli slaw (which is tangy, delicious and loaded with antioxidants and nutritional benefits) on a low carb bun. My standby low carb hot dog / sausage buns are from Sola – they are soft and delicious and also toast up perfectly on the top shelf of our grill. And with 14g of protein and 11g of fiber, they are a must-have in any keto kitchen. I like to brush the tops with some butter and sprinkle on some sesame seeds for an extra hit of texture and subtle flavor.
I opt for broccoli slaw over cole slaw as the base for my slaw recipes because it’s packed with even more nutrients than traditional cabbage-based slaw and tastes better in my opinion. You can find broccoli slaw in the same produce section as cole slaw mix and bagged lettuces.
I like to serve the slaw right on top of the sausages, with some extra on the side.
Hot Italian Sausages with Broccoli Slaw
For the Broccoli Slaw
- 16 ounces raw broccoli slaw mix can be found in grocer's produce section
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds optional
- 1/4 cup avocado oil-based mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp granulated sweetener I like Swerve or Allulose
- 1 tsp celery seeds
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika optional
- salt and pepper to taste
For the Sausages
- 8 Sausage Links I like Hot Italian or Cajun Adouille
- 8 low carb hot dog buns
- olive oil to brush inside buns
- In a large bowl, add your broccoli slaw mix and sunflower seeds (if using) and toss. Set aside while you make the dressing.
For the Broccoli Slaw Dressing
- Mix all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until smooth. Add to slaw and sunflower mix and toss to coat. Place in fridge until ready to serve.
For the Sausages
- Heat your grill to medium-hight (400°F). Lightly spray grate with cooking spray.
- Once heated, place your sausages on the grill and cook for 5 – 8 minutes on each side.
- Brush the low carb hot dog buns with olive oil on the inside and place on upper rack of grill (if you have one) with the inside facing down. If you don't have an upper wire rack, place them around the sausages. Toast buns until just golden and have some char marks.
- Serve sausages in buns topped with 2 – 3 tablespoons of slaw, with extra slaw on the side.