Though Los Angeles is now my home, I’m an East Coast girl at heart who grew up going to clam bakes and lobster bakes and live for seafood. Fish has been a staple of my diet since birth, basically, so it’s one of the main proteins I continue to eat and perfect for a ketogenic lifestyle. With healthy fats and loads of options, seafood and shellfish provide lots of options for low carb deliciousness.
Crab cakes are typically on the keto no-no list at restaurants because they use breadcrumbs as a binder, however as many of you know already, crushed pork rinds are a terrific substitute for breadcrumbs and now, you can even buy pork rind crumbs in a jar for your breading pleasure! I like the Pork Panko and Pork King Good brands best or you can just take your favorite pork rinds and crush them at home.
These keto crab cakes are my favorite with cilantro and serrano pepper for some flavor and heat – you can leave them out if you want a simpler version. I’ve included ways to cook these in the oven, air fryer or simply pan fried. I personally love the pan fried version but all are delicious! Either way, on top of some butter or romaine lettuce and a keto tartar sauce, these will become a summer staple!
Keto Crab Cakes
- 1 cup crab meat I get fresh crab meat from my seafood counter, however lump crab meat in a can works well too
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 tsp seafood seasoning (like Old Bay)
- 1/4 cup celery chopped, around 1 – 2 stalks
- 1 tbsp serrano pepper chopped, optional
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 red onion chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro chopped
- 2 tbsp pork rinds crushed
- olive oil if pan frying
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat and spray with your favorite cooking spray (I use avocado oil spray).
- Saute the celery and red onion until just beginning to get translucent – around 5 minutes.
- Beat the egg, mustard and Worcestershire in a small bowl.
- Add your crab meat to the bowl and mix to combine.
- Add your seasonings, pork rind crumbs and celery and onion.
- Mix gently to incorporate.
- Form into 4 equal sized patties and let it set in the fridge for at least an hour or up to 4 hours.
If Pan Frying
- Heat 2 – 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a nonstick pan.
- Place the keto crab cake patties in the oil and cook until golden brown on each side, around 4 minutes.
If Air Frying
- Place crab bake patties in a single layer with about 1/2 inch between them.
- Lightly spray the tops with cooking oil.
- Cook on 370? for 10 minutes.
If Baking in the Oven
- Preheat oven to 375?.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Arrange crab cakes on liner.
- Bake for 15 minutes until brown on one side, then gently flip each crab cake and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Serve with keto tartar sauce, lemon slices or your favorite keto-friendly seafood sauce. Enjoy!
The post Keto Crab Cakes: In the Air Fryer, Baked or Pan Fried appeared first on Ketology – Keto Recipes, Tips and Hacks for Women.