Fried mozzarella sticks are a family favorite for many – a simple and delicious appetizer or treat that’s perfect for movie night or game night. Keto mozzarella sticks are easy to make with a little effort – you can sub coconut flour and pork rind crumbs (one of my favorite keto hacks) to make a warm and gooey fried mozzarella that’s perfect for dipping in a low sugar marinara sauce, like Rao’s.
While mozzarella is a relatively low fat cheese, it’s mild flavor is great for adding to keto recipes and adding your favorite seasoning and fat. Since we fry these in coconut oil, a source of good, healthy fats, we under up with the perfect keto snack that the whole family can enjoy!
The trick here to getting the “breading” to stick to the the keto mozzarella sticks is to put the coated mozzarella sticks (which is just halved string cheese) in the freezer for at least a couple of hours and even overnight. Then, they’ll fry up into golden, melty goodness when you’re ready to serve!
We did try to cook these in the air fryer and it was a FAIL. They completely fell apart, unfortunately, so pan frying is the way to go for perfect keto mozzarella sticks!
Keto Fried Mozzarella Sticks
- 1/2 cup pork rind crumbs
- 1/2 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp pink salt
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 2 large eggs whisked
- 8 mozzarella string cheese sticks halved crosswise
- 1/2 cup oil for frying we use coconut oil
- Mix pork rind crumbs in a bowl with Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and salt and pepper.
- In another bowl, add the coconut flour.
- In a third bowl, crack your eggs and whisk.
- Coat each cheese stick in the coconut flour, then dip it in the egg wash. Then press each stick into the pork rind mixture making sure to coat all sides well. Repeat this process with each cheese stick.
- Please "breaded" cheese sticks on a plate and cover with plastic wrap. Place in the freezer for 1 – 2 hours.
- Heat oil in a large skillet or dutch oven over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, carefully drop the cheese sticks in the oil and fry until they are golden brown and crispy, 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Remove the cheese sticks from the oil and place them on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Serve with your favorite marinara sauce for dipping – we like Rao's.