Recently, I mistakenly bought a GIANT bag of carrots from a delivery service – I thought I was buying a small bag of baby carrots that my son loves to snack on, and instead, I got a five pound bag of huge carrots. So, this was the perfect opportunity for me to test out a low carb carrot cake recipe! Now, although carrots are high in natural sugars and we have to be careful about consumption, I managed to create a low carb carrot cake recipe that is under 6g of net carbs per serving and quite literally tastes exactly like a traditional carrot cake made — except this one is gluten-free and has no refined sugar!
The cream cheese frosting is light and fluffy — I spread a light layer on the finished cakes and kept extra on hand for those who want a little more.
Over the years as I’ve become more fluent in low carb and keto cooking and baking, allulose has become my preferred sweetener specifically for baking cakes and cookies. So the carrot cake recipe uses allulose and the keto cream cheese frosting uses powdered monkfruit. You can experiment with your preferred sweeteners however this is my favorite combo for the perfect keto carrot cake.
Low Carb Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
For the Carrot Cake
- 4 eggs room temperature
- 1 stick of butter melted
- 1/3 cup avocado oil
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup Allulose sweetener
- 2 cups almond flour
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/8 tsp pink salt
- 1/2 cup pecans chopped
- 2 cups carrots shredded
For the Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup powdered monkfruit sweetener I prefer Lakanto
- 1/2 stick of butter room temperature
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
To Prepare the Carrot Cake:
- Prepare a loaf tin with parchment paper.
- Preheat oven to 350℉.
- Using a hand mixer on low speed, mix eggs, avocado oil and vanilla extract in a large bowl until combined.
- Add Allulose, flours, baking soda, baking powder, and spices and mix until combined and smooth.
- Add butter slowly until uniform.
- With a spatula, fold in the pecans and shredded carrots.
- Pour the mixture into your prepared loaf tin.
- Bake for 45 minutes, checking with a toothpick at around 35 minutes if done. The toothpick should be inserted into the center of the loaf and is done when it comes out clean.
- When done baking, cool the cake fully on a wire rack before removing from tin and frosting.
To Prepare the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- In a medium bowl, blend all ingredients together until smooth.
The post Low Carb Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting appeared first on Ketology – Keto Recipes, Tips and Hacks for Women.