This low carb stuffing recipe for Thanksgiving calls for a couple of loaves of low carb or keto-friendly bread. You can make my homemade recipe or buy one of the options available at stores – my favorite being Sola and I would recommend steering clear of the Costco Keto bread!
The sausage in this recipe adds so much flavor and I like to add apple to my stuffing for some sweetness. The addition of apple will add to the carb count, so you can omit it however there’s so little in each serving, if you want the subtle sweetness and texture the apple gives to this low carb stuffing recipe – I say go for it!
Low Carb Herbed Sausage Stuffing
I use Sola's low carb bread for this recipe however you can use any low carb bread you prefer. Oroweat's version is more readily available on grocery shelves.
- 2 loaves keto bread I like Sola, however Oroweat’s keto bread is easier to find in stores; yield 8 cups of cubes
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 2 large celery stalks diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 granny smith apple cored and diced
- 1 pound hot italian sausage links casings removed
- 3 cups chicken stock or bone broth
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 350℉
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Cut bread loaf into 1/2″ cubes and place in a single layer on baking sheet.
- Toast in oven for 5 – 10 minutes until golden brown.
- Allow toasted cubes to dry, and then place in a large mixing bowl.
- In a large sauté pan, melt the butter. Add the onions and celery and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for about 8 minutes, until the vegetables are soft. Add the garlic and diced apple, cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the vegetables to the bowl with the toasted bread.
- Add the sausage to the sauté pan and brown over medium heat for 8-10 minutes, breaking up the meat as it’s cooking so you have bite sized chunks.
- Add the browned sausage and fat to the bread cubes and vegetables.
- Add the chicken broth, egg, rosemary, sage, thyme, salt and pepper to the bread mixture and mix until the bread is soft and moistened. Transfer the stuffing to a prepared baking dish and bake for 45 minutes, uncovered, until deeply golden and crisp on top. Depending on your oven, you could need to bake it for up to an hour – keep checking on it every five minutes after 45 minutes to ensure it doesn’t burn.
Calories: 289kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 9g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 77mg | Sodium: 561mg | Potassium: 250mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 329IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 26mg | Iron: 1mg
The post Low Carb Herbed Sausage Stuffing appeared first on Ketology – Keto Recipes, Tips and Hacks for Women.