Keto stuffed mushrooms make for a great appetizer or small snack-style dinner, however traditional stuffed mushrooms use lots of breadcrumbs in the filling…and honestly, I don’t know why! These stuffed mushrooms, which I’ve prepared before for guests but made a small batch last night for dinner because I wasn’t terribly hungry, are filling, delicious and don’t need any carby breadcrumbs for flavor! You can also make keto stuffed mushrooms that are a little heartier with 1/4 cup of pork rind crumbs to replace traditional breadcrumbs. Like I said, I don’t think they are at all needed but they do add a bit more texture to this stuffed mushroom recipe. If you don’t like crab, I also have a keto sausage stuffed mushroom recipe that is delicious!
I am currently obsessed with our air fryer, so cooked these stuffed mushrooms in it, however you can also just pop them in the oven at the same temperature – just add 5 more minutes. Either way: deliciously satisfying!
Health Benefits of Mushrooms
Mushrooms are PACKED with selenium – a powerful antioxidant that lowers the risk of certain cancers and protects against heart disease. As we age, selenium is shown to help manage oxidative stress? – which is linked to both Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s diseases. And, selenium also boosts the immune system and in critical in thyroid function. Mushrooms also are rich in B vitamins and potassium, which is a critical need when following a keto diet.
Low Carb Crab-Stuffed Mushrooms
- 1/2 dozen mushroom caps – I used cremini
- 4 oz cooked crab meat I used the frozen Trader Joe's version
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 1 tbsp mayo
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp crushed red chili flakes
- 1/4 cup parmesan
- Salt – to taste
- Pepper – to taste
- Paprika – to taste
- Remove stems from mushroom caps and set aside
- Mix cooked crab meat, cream cheese, mayo and spices together in a bowl.
- Lightly stuff each mushroom cap with about 1 tbsp of crab mixture. Place on air fryer tray.
- Sprinkle with extra paprika and parmesan.
- Cook at 350 for 7 minutes. If you don?t have an air fryer, bake these on a baking sheet in the oven at 350 for 15 minutes.