When I was in college, my daily diet consisted of Pop Tarts, cereal, and ramen. Affordable comfort food was essential then, and today I’ve found ways to pay homage to the favorites of my 20s. These breakfast pastries evoke the nostalgia of a Pop Tart with some modern, keto-approved upgrades like flaky almond flour-based dough and chia jam. You’ll appreciate the throwback with these low carb strawberry breakfast pastries – aka homemade keto pop tarts! – while thoroughly enjoying this as a breakfast pastry or midday snack.
This is one of 60 low carb, delicious and easy keto-friendly recipes available in my new cookbook – Small-Batch Keto Baking – which focuses on small batches of treats so you aren’t left with many leftovers or when you want a quick, sweet treat!
Strawberry Breakfast Pastries
FOR THE PASTRY DOUGH
FOR THE JAM FILLING
- 1 cup fresh strawberries washed and trimmed
- 1 tablespoons lemon juice
- ⅛ cup Allulose
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
TO PREPARE THE PASTRY DOUGH
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients. In a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk together the almond milk, melted butter, and vinegar.
- Mix the wet ingredients in with the dry ingredients with a wooden spoon until the dough comes together and then knead into a ball with your hands. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and place in the freezer while you make the jam filling.
TO PREPARE THE FILLING
- Place strawberries in a medium saucepan with the lemon juice and bring to a boil over medium heat. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and using a potato masher, crush the berries gently.
- Continue to simmer for another minute or two and remove from heat.
- Add in your sweetener and chia seeds and stir until well combined. Make sure there are no chia clumps. Allow to cool and thicken, about 30 minutes.
- Remove your dough from the freezer and divide in half. Place one half between two pieces of parchment paper, and roll to ¼-inch thick. Cut the dough into 3”x5” rectangles. Repeat with the other half of the dough—you should have 12 rectangles in total.
- On your prepared baking sheet, lay out 6 rectangles, leaving about ½-inch of space in between. Carefully spread about 1 tablespoon of the jam in the center of each, leaving ½-inch border.
- Cover with the remaining rectangles of pastry, and crimp the edges to seal with your fingers or a fork. Using a knife, cut two small slits in the center of each.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes until the pastries are golden brown, then cover with foil and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Cool completely on a baking rack before eating.
The post Low Carb Strawberry Breakfast Pastries (aka Keto Pop Tarts!) appeared first on Ketology – Keto Recipes, Tips and Hacks for Women.