I like to keep it classic and simple with my holiday turkey to ensure a moist and perfectly roasted bird, and keep the flair for the sides. I pair this with a smooth, shallot and sage gravy which I thicken with xanthan gum instead of flour to keep the carb count low and the texture and flavor high!
Roast Turkey with Bacon & Shallot Gravy
Pefectly roasted turkey with a smooth, bacony gravy.
- 1 14 – 16 pound turkey preferably brined overnight
- 1 lemon halved
- 1 yellow onion quartered
- 4 sprigs rosemary
- 1 bunch sage leaves
- 2 sticks unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup chicken stock
- Preheat oven to 500 ℉.
- Remove giblets and neck from turkey and rinse the bird with cold water and ensure the cavity is clean.
- Place your turkey on a roasting rack in a roasting pan and pat dry with paper towels.
- Gently add the lemon, 2 onion quarters, rosemary and sage in the turkey’s cavity and truss the cavity with the pins and twine from the trussing kit.
- Using your fingers, gently separate the skin from the breast by inserting your hand between the skin and meat.
- Cut one stick of butter into 1 tablespoon sections and place them between the skin on the breast, distributing evenly.
- Rub the remaining butter all over the outside of the turkey, making sure to get the wings and underside.
- Cover the bird with the cheesecloth and pour the chicken stock over the cheesecloth covered turkey.
- Roast turkey for 30 minutes at 500℉, then reduce heat to 350℉ until a thermometer inserted in the thigh registers 160℉. Baste using the pan dripping 2 – 3 times during roasting.
- Remove the bird from oven and let rest 15 – 20 minutes before carving.
Calories: 1188kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Protein: 181g | Fat: 47g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 12g | Monounsaturated Fat: 15g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 600mg | Sodium: 962mg | Potassium: 1910mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 473IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 97mg | Iron: 7mg
Bacon & Shallot Gravy
Use the drippings from the turkey to make this deliciously rich gravy which is thickened up using xanthan gum instead of flour to keep it low carb without sacrificing a bit of flavor.
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon chopped
- 2 large shallots minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/2 cup white wine I use a sauvignon blanc
- 4 cups pan drippings from turkey plus chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet over medium heat, warm the avocado oil. Add the bacon, shallots, bay leaf, sage and a pinch of salt.
- Cook, stirring as needed, until the shallots are browned and the bacon is crispy,, about 8 minutes.
- Add the wine and sprinkle in the xanthan gum and gently whisk until it just starts to thicken. If needed, add more xanthan gum in 1/2 tsp increments.
- Add the drippings and stock slowly, whisking the whole time.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes, whisking occasionally to ensure a smooth texture.
- Remove from heat and discard the bay leaf.
- Stir the butter in until fully incorporated and glossy. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve hot.
Calories: 144kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 15mg | Sodium: 243mg | Potassium: 156mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 45IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 7mg | Iron: 1mg
The post Roast Turkey with Bacon & Shallot Gravy appeared first on Ketology – Keto Recipes, Tips and Hacks for Women.